Monday, August 9, 2010

Woman and Sex



After watching Jean Kilbourne’s “Killing Us Softly 3”, I wonder why there are so many advertisers mentioned about sex, especially women. I totally agree on some of her point of view. Base on Jean Kilbournes’s idea, perfect woman must be tall, skinny, and with a good shape of body. This standard has created by the advertisement. We can see there are many posters and commercials mostly related to woman and sex. In fact, a perfect woman body is more attractive than others. Even thought the product is not necessary for life, but the advertiser just makes it important and alive by using woman and sex to interpret.

Today, I am going to focus on alcohol advertisers. I have been finding more and more sexy woman, or even naked women are related to alcohol advertisers. The liquor business has long used sex and women to sell its brands and products. Most of these advertisers are showing breasts or legs of women. I believe this is one kind of marketing strategy --- to catch viewers’ eyes. Some of the alcohol advertisers are very extreme and overload.
In the first advertiser, we can see there is an almost naked woman lying on the millions of Budweiser beer lids, and only cover her important and private area by few beer lids. She is holding Budweiser beer with her left hand. What does the advertiser first attract me is the sexy body of the woman. I am sure others will do the same thing too. Second, I realized this is a beer advertiser after I saw she is holding a glass of beer in her left hands. Now, the woman has become more important and central than the beer. It looks like the advertiser is selling the sexy lady instead of beer. Furthermore, I think this advertiser is overload, and it must affects
children who below 13 years old.

In the second image, there is a naked woman bended her knees on grass, and she was trying lie back. She wears nothing on her body, except a high heel. We can also see that she just got tan due to her bikini shadow. I do not like this advertiser at all. I cannot see the girl in the image brings us any idea of the alcohol! Besides, the position of the lady is not making any sense at all. It just looks so weird to me.
In Jean Kilbournes’s “Killing Us Softly 3”, she mentioned most ads has turn woman as a subject into an object. These ads are showing violence against women. In most advertisers, women objected themselves and they look like they enjoy and happy with their hot bodies. Why do most of alcohol ads contain women and sex? I believe there are better ways to sell the products instead of using women and sex in the ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment