Sunday, July 18, 2010

My dreadful exprience of 9/11

As many people know, September 11 attacks would be the one of most horrible and tragic events in American history. Two planes hijacked by the terrorists were clashed into the World Trade Center. A lot of innocent people in New York died, and the city got into the uncontrollable chaos. Even though I am not an American, it was one of the most terrible news in my life.

I was in Seoul, Korea, and it happened before I came to New York. It came as breaking news while I was watching a baseball game at a bar. It was like a scene of a movie that the head of a plane was stuck into one of the twin towers of the World Trade Center. My friends at the bar were surprised, but they recovered composure soon because it was just other country’s news to them. However, as soon as I watched the news, I got shocked and ran out of the bar because it was not just ordinary news to me. My father was working in Manhattan at the time.

I made a call to my father, but he didn’t answer my call. I tried to call hundreds time. However, he never answered. I went back to home, and watched TV with my mother and brother. My mother cried and got scared of any bad news. What we were able to do, was watching TV. The news said that it was an accident from the signal problem of the plane. But an hour later, they said it was a planned attack from the terrorists, and the newscaster even said it would be the beginning of war. It made me to feel like that the attack would keep going, and all over the place of Manhattan would be attacked. My mother started to weep again, and I tried to contact my relatives in the United States all night.


The day after September 11, my father called me that he was safe. He was in uptown of Manhattan, and he said he couldn’t make a call to us. So he moved to his sister’s home in the other state. By then, we could feel relieved.


If there is no television or radio at the time, I would just hang around with my friends at the bar and wouldn’t know how my father was in danger. However, I was horrified by the newscaster’s mention that it would be the beginning of the war. My thought about the September 11 was limited by the information from the news that I just believed a war would occur in the United States, and didn’t think about any other option.

No comments:

Post a Comment